Some of the properties we manage at Walker Weir come with water included in the rent. This is especially common with apartments. We have a simple process for collecting water charges from the tenant. Remember that you, as a landlord, are responsible for the fixed wastewater portion of the bill because that cost would be incurred whether a tenant is occupying your property or not. Therefore, we cannot simply pass the entire bill onto the tenants. Instead, we have a system that ensures your account with Watercare is kept current and the tenant ultimately pays what is owed for the water that is used.
- When the water invoice arrives from Watercare, Walker Weir will pay the entire invoice and charge it to your property, to ensure your account remains current. We don’t want you to face any late fees while we collect the water payment from your tenant.
- We charge the tenant the full amount of water usage, which excludes the fixed wastewater cost.
- An invoice is sent to the tenant, which is due within 14 days of receipt.
- When the tenant payment is received, the credit is immediately returned to your property.
- You will see that credit as a deposit when you receive your next statement and payment.
This policy is consistent with the Residential Tenancies Act 1986, which states that a tenant is responsible for the water charges that are exclusively attributable to that tenant. Our tenancy agreements explain this process in full so the tenants understand their responsibilities in terms of how the water is to be paid for the property they are occupying.
If you have any questions about how we manage your water bill, please contact us. We are available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.